Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Ten Tips for Vegetarians (and Vegans)
This is a video about the USDA's tip sheet for vegetarians, found at the link above.
Specific tips include:
1. Protein - "your protein needs can easily be met by eating a variety of plant-based foods." Sources: beans, nuts, peas, and soy
2. Calcium sources: fortified foods & dar leafy vegetables
3. Make simple changes like bean burritos instead of beef, vegetable lasagna instead of meaty lasagna...
4. BBQ - veggie burgers, veggie hot dogs, and veggie kabobs
5. Beans and Peas - everyone should eat them, not just vegetarians
6. Try the veggie sausages, patties, burgers, etc. They're usually lower in saturated fat and they don't have cholesterol.
7. restaurants - ask for substitutions
8. nuts for snacks and salads - "add walnuts or pecans to a green salad instead of cheese or meat."
9. Vitamin E sources: sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnuts
10. choose fats wisely - walnuts and flax seeds for omega 3s